Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Who knew jogging could be dangerous...

Monday, September 28, 2009 7:00 AM (Approximate Time)

I was on a run with my mom and her friend.  They were both 20-40 feet behind me.  We were running up a hill just past the middle school, past the park and past the water retention basin turned into a field.  That was several feet below us down a steep rocky hill.

I saw a woman in her blue car drifting over the center lane coming around a turn.  And then I noticed she was slumped over her wheel, appearing unconscious.  Headed the opposite direction (the same direction I was jogging) was a woman in her truck.  She noticed the blue car headed directly towards her and started to honk to alert the other driver.  This was to no avail.  To avoid a head-on collision, the woman in the truck swerved into the bike lane.  The blue car hit the truck's back fender and continued on up over the curb.

I was standing 10 feet away from collision as it happened.  The crash left me dumbstruck.  I stood there and just stared.  The blue car was headed towards me.  My mom yelled, "MEGAN, RUN!"  I pivoted in place and started to take off down the rocky hill towards the water retention park.  The blue car was still close behind me.  My mom watched in horror as the blue car was headed right towards me, as if it were following me.  "RUN THIS WAY!" Mom shouted.  I changed direction and ran over towards the side walk, a right angle direction away from the direction the blue car was heading.  The blue car continued on down the rocky hill into the park and finally came to a stop.

My mom and her friend chased the blue car down the hill to help the driver.  She was unconscious still when they got down to her.  The airbag had deployed and the woman had received a minor cut on her lip from it.  This was the only injury from either women.  I believe this to be a miracle based on what had occurred.  When the woman in the blue car came to, she was very disoriented and claimed that she was not driving.

I called 911 as the blue car was still heading down the hill.  There were some other witnesses that were horrified at what they had seen.  The rushed over to me to make sure that I was okay.  There were surprised at how calm I was despite what could have happened to me.  It wasn't until about 15 minutes after the accident that I came back down to earth and realized what had happened and what could have happened.  I shook and cried.

I am very grateful to Heavenly Father for keeping me safe.


1 comment:

  1. I was pretty horrified myself hearing this story. I was at the verge of tears.. well basically in tears after talking to you. I'm so glad you are okay. I love you!

    ReplyDelete