Saturday, December 4, 2010

I got in a fight...

...with a car. 

On Monday night, I was riding my bike with Allison.  I was actually on Lien's bike because I hate my bike.  Anyway, we were almost home, on a smaller dark street.  There were no street lights.  I was cruising and kind of daydreaming.  When I looked forward, I saw a car backing out right in front of me.  I didn't have enough reaction time and ran into the car's back right side.  I fell off my bike and stood there stunned.  I looked back at Allison, who was several feet behind me and said, "I was just hit by a car."  Call me Captain Obvious.  I pulled my bike out from behind the car.  The Taiwanese came out and started to ask me if I was okay, a man in his twenties and an older man, probably his father.  The younger man spoke okay English.  He apologized and apologized and asked if I needed to go to the hospital.  I just felt bad for their car and the scare.  There was a nasty scratch on their nice car.  As far as I was concerned, I was not hurt.  The man's father kept patting his arms and his legs as if to ask me if I was hurt.  So I checked.  My legs were fine, but when I pulled up my shirt sleeve, I noticed a bloody 4-inch scrape on my right forearm.  Then the stinging pain hit me.  And my shoulder started to kill.  I think that it is interesting that sometimes injuries don't hurt until you become aware of them.  When the Taiwanese saw my scrape, they freaked out a little bit and offered to take me to the hospital or help me bandage it up.  I told them it wasn't that bad, that I was almost home, and that I would clean it up when I got home.  They asked if we were English teachers at Berhan, and we eventually found out that I am one of the teachers of the man's cute 3 year-old son Curtis.  I soon went home, showed off my battle wounds to my roommates and went to the secretaries to bandage it.  They decided it would be better if it air-dried and put some smelly yellow powder on it.  When I asked what it was, they just said Chinese medicine.

A couple days later, Curtis' mom came in to see if I was okay.  How sweet!  She came bearing gifts and offered to pay for my nonexistant hospital bill.  She gave me expensive hand creams.  I love how thoughtful the Taiwanese people are. 

I know that I made this all sound very dramatic, but now I can say that I have been hit by a car in Taiwan, and I will have a scar to prove it.




Chinese Medicine
A couple days later...
Healing nicely.

Hand cream

3 comments:

  1. ummm... I don't care what that Chinese stuff was, but it did a GREAT job in healing you!!

    Also, I love the blue thingy you are wearing. It is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks pretty deep! Was that after you washed it off or something? How do you like the hand cream?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg - you poor thing... I hope you don't take this wrong but I am smiling because your story is a little comical. The Chinese medicine looks cool... and how nice everyone seems.

    I hope you are well,
    With much love,
    ~ Katelynd

    ReplyDelete