Wednesday, June 16, 2010

ILP Training

Last Thursday, I drove to Provo, UT for training.  I didn't want to leave the night before, because I wanted to spend as much time with my family as possible.  I woke promptly at 3:00am to depart.  It was really fun to meet who I am going to be living and teaching with.  It was also great to meet Britta.  Now I have a face to put with the name.  There were eight girls and one guy going to my school, Berhan Language Institute (pronounced Bear-Hawn).  There is one teacher already over in Taiwan, staying from last semester.  We don't know whether that person is a guy or girl.  I forgot to ask.  We learned all about the teaching methodology and how to do it.  If you are curious, go here. 

We also learned about culture quirks.  Here are a few:
  • (This one is for you, Han.)  "White skin is beautiful!  The Taiwanese people don't understand sunbathing and would never dream of tanning beds.  Dark skin is associated with people that have to work out in the fields all day--the lower class."  Here's to being "pasty white."
  • "Betel nuts are everywhere in Taiwan; people chew them much like Americans chew tobacco.  However, the juice that they spit while chewing betel nut is blood red.  You'll see red stains everywhere.  Don't worry, it's not a crime scene.  Also, betel nuts sales usually take place in neon-lit glass enclosures by scantily clad women."  Oh my!
  • "Taiwanese men often grow out the nail of their pinkie finger as a sign of honor to their family.  However, you'll often see them using it as a handy nose picker.  It is also a good sign if you can get the hair coming out of a facial mole to grow very long."
Halfway through the first day, I felt like I had a fever.  I was so tired!  Thursday evening, I got to see some old friends.  We met at Zupas, and had a fine time of playing catch-up.  The Kennington's (Shayla, my childhood best friend, and her husband Brian) were so kind to let me stay in their home.  I felt really bad going to bed at nine, but I was having a really hard time coping with my fatigue.  Friday brought another half day of training. 

I am now certified to teach English in Taiwan!

No comments:

Post a Comment