Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fourth Time to Taipei

On Saturday, Kristi and I went to Taipei.  We took the bus because it was cheaper.  Once we got in , we hailed a taxi.  I showed the guy the temple address in Chinese.  He didn't know how to get there.  We drove along and the driver talked to himself and laughed almost the whole ride.  I wish I could understand Chinese.  I am sure he was saying something funny.  He ended up pulling over and asking some guy for directions. 


We finally made it and the tiny Taipei Temple was a great experience.  I felt so rejuvenated spiritually.  I love the temple. 


Afterwards, we found a place to eat on the way to the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Park.  Chiang was a Nationalist leader and long-time president of Taiwan (d. 1975).  In 1980 the park openned in his memory.  The main entrance to the park is marked by a 98-foot, 5-arched Ming dynasty styled "Dajhong Jhihjheng Gate" (the Gate of Great Centrality and Perfect Uprightness.)



There is a huge plaza that leads to the memorial.  Just beyond the gate are two identical buildings.  On the right is the National Theatre and on the left is the National Concert Hall, built in grand Chinese Palace style.  Tons of performances are in these buildings.



The Memorial Hall is white marble with a blue tiled roof, topped with a golden dome.  We climbed several stairs to get to the third story, which had a bronze statue of Chiang.  On the first floor there were art galleries and exhibits of Chiang's life and reign, including a replica of Chiang's office with the original furnishings.  It was all very interesting.






There were also lots of gardens in the park. 


Next we headed to  the 2-28 Peace Park.  I'm not sure why it's called that.  We didn't explore much there because of time constraints, but we did go to the Taiwan Museum.  That looked Greek in style.  It houses exhibits on natural history and a collection of aboriginal artifacts.  It was all very neat.



I decided we could probably walk back to the bus station.  Except, once we got there, we realized that I directed us to the wrong one.  I asked a station worker if she spoke any English.  She said a little, and then proceeded to talk to us in Chinese, only Chinese. 

Kristi and I didn't understand and didn't know how to get to the correct bus station, so we hailed a taxi, and rode in it for like literally a 1/4 of a mile.  Well, at least we got to the right station.  I am now home safely.

3 comments:

  1. That is there idea of a national park?? GEEZE! And this whole time I thought national parks were more natural... haha! It is an amazing work of architecture though.

    Also, love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And the temple looks a lot like the one in Guatemala. They are TINY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That temple is beautiful. I love your picture where you are micmicking the wooden statue.

    ReplyDelete