Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ghost Festival 鬼月

Today is Ghost Day in Taiwan.  It is believed that deceased ancestors come to visit the living.  Along the streets, many people set out tables with food.  They also were burning fake paper money as offerings to their deceased loved ones.  The air smelled of fire and smoke and traditional Chinese music was heard throughout the town.  I was on my way to class and decided I would take some pictures when I got done.  By the time class was over, every had put everything away.  I wish I could have gotten some pictures.  Here is one I found online at: http://jenniferlynnreil.blogspot.com/2009/02/taiwanese-holidays.html.

2 comments:

  1. Does it count if the money is fake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supposedly it does. I would feel really bad if it didn't. The Taiwanese are a poor people (compared to Americans anyway).

    ReplyDelete