Friday, September 17, 2010

Taipei Temple Trip #3 台湾台北聖殿



Bright and early Saturday morning, seven of my friends (Annalisa, Erin, Katy, Kristi, Laura, Liz, and Whitney) and I departed for Taipei via bus.  First destination was the Taipei Temple.  I love going to the temple!  It is where I feel the most at peace.  I was able to witness a physically disabled brother participate in baptisms for the dead.  It was beautiful to me.  I could tell that the motions were uncomfortable and maybe even painful for him, but he had so much determination to do the work.  It was a good example to me to overcome trials press forward with faith and righteousness.

Laura, Annalisa, Liz, Kristi, Whitney, Katy, Me, Erin

After the temple, we walked to the National Museum of History.  On the way, we briefly passed through the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Park.  We stopped at a strip of stone-studded pathway which is thought to have healing powers if you walk on it barefoot.  Tolerable, but not comfortable.  Was not healed.





The National Museum of History had over 10,000 artifacts, including: jades, pottery, textiles, inscriptions, carvings, calligraphy, coins, porcelain, lacquerware, paintings, photographs and bronzes.  It was just really cool.  I really like museums. 

Whitney and I playing with Shadow Puppets

Right next to the museum was the Botanical Garden.  It was huge and it was raining, so we didn't spend a whole lot of time there.  But, we did visit the "important woody plants".  No joke, that is how it was labeled ont the garden map.


 Erin, Kristi, Me, Liz, Annalisa, Whitney, Laura

We ended the delightful day with a delightful meal at the Macaroni Grill.  It was so delectibly delicious.
 

To get back to the bus station we decided to take the MRT, Taipei's subway system.  After we got off at our stop, I noticed that the majority of our group was going one way and two people were going the other way.  I left the group and went back for them.  One person heard my calls and joined the group.  Katy did not.  So I ventured further away to get her attention.  When we went to go join the group, they couldn't be found.  They didn't know that I went back.  There were mobs of people at the station and it was a little overwhelming.  I didn't where to go and we were lost.  I knew we needed to get to the bus station, but there are a few in Taipei and I didn't know which one was the right one.  I just started walking.  I felt scared for the first time since coming to Taiwan.  Our bus was to leave shortly.  I had little money on me.  And I didn't know where to go.  This wasn't a good sign.  It occured to me that I could not figure this out on my own.  So, I prayed and continued walking.  My fear and anxiety immediately diminished.  After a while, we ended up outside.  And I saw something that looked familiar.  I had been there before.  When Kristi and I went to Taipei last month, the taxi driver dropped us off in front of a mall when we asked to go to the bus station.  This is the same mall that Katy and I came upon.  My prayer had been answered.  Katy and I got to the station with less than 5 minutes to spare.  Heavenly Father is a God of miracles.


2 comments:

  1. Wow what a day! What weren't you healed from? Pretty purple flower! Scary and relieving end story! I'm glad your prayer was answered. You are so cute! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and that puppet thing looks so fun! Were you into museums before you visited taiwan?

    ReplyDelete