Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Stolen Innocence


Today, I finished reading "Stolen Innocence" by Elissa Wall.  It was an autobiographical account of a girl raised in an FLDS community, forced into marriage at age 14 and the victim of repeated sexual abuse.  After being married for 4 years, Elissa escaped the community and the life she was forced to live.

I am so grateful for the religious freedoms I have.  I am also very grateful that we have a living prophet on this Earth today that receives direction to guide us.  I am grateful for agency and that I can live my life however I choose, whether I choose the way of the Lord or not.  

With Warren Jeffs assuming power as the FLDS prophet, the FLDS people were living in an almost communist situation.  All agency was taken away from the members.  Members who strayed were shunned and ostracized.  

I am just so grateful that I was born to my parents, and not to parents practicing FLDS.  I am not condemning the FLDS people.  As I read this book, I felt so much compassion for them.  They are good Christian people, who only did what they believed was the will of God.  Warren Jeffs is an evil, power-hungry man, who took advantage of the good FLDS people.

1 comment:

  1. Do you think I would like that book or was it pretty graphic or traumatic with the sexual abuse? I'm intrigued and interested but I don't want to get bad feelings.

    ReplyDelete