Monday, July 19, 2010

Third time to Taipei

Today, our ward took a bus ride into Taipei to go to the Taipei temple.  On the way there, I sat in between Whitney Sheahan and Kristi Stephensen.  It was nice because I don't feel like I know Whitney very well, and now I know her a little better.  They are both very peaceful people.  I like it.  It's nice to be around them. 

The Taipei temple was beautiful.  I love the Asian inspired paintings and furniture.  I have never been in a smaller temple.  It was pocket-sized; just like Taiwan. 

After the temple, we went to Taipei 101, one of the tallest buildings in the world.  Alex, a girl in my ward, said that it was built like bamboo, in layers.  There are eight sections.  Eight is a lucky number here.  It means wealth and prosperity(?).  We ran out of time to go up to the top.  On another occasion we will.  On the inside it is an upscale shopping mall, with stores like Armani and Tiffany & Co. among others. 

Taipei has a lot more to see and do.  I can't wait to go back. 

Random tidbit: People here stare at us Americans a lot.  But, today I thought, can I blame them.  I do the same thing.  Every time I see an American I stare, because there just aren't very many here.  In fact, when we were standing outside in front of Taipei 101, an asian woman wanted us to stand by her so that he husband could take a video of us with her.  Weird. 

Playing at the Rest stop.
Me and Erin

Can you do the Can Can?
Alex, Me, Libby, Erin and Kristi

Me and beautiful Formosa

Kristi, Erin, Libby and Whitney

That darn squatter

Taipei Taiwan Temple

Laura, Me and Erin

Taipei 101
Libby, Laura, Lien, Erin, Kristi and Me



Inside Taipei 101

2 comments:

  1. I took one look at it and decided I could probably wait until we got to Taipei. Pictures do not capture smells.

    ReplyDelete