Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Lifestyle and Depression

I think that since now I am not on my SSRI's anymore, it is more important that I be good to my body.  According to a Celexa half-life chart I made in boredom the other day, I have less than 0.039 mg left in my body.  I definitely feel more emotions.  I was reading some articles in a magazine from my grandparent's house, and there were like 4 articles on what one can do to decrease or eliminate depression symptoms.  I have known all this stuff before, but I didn't pay much attention to it until now. 

So, I am going to start exercising again.  (I have been really lazy lately.  It's hard to want to get out there when it's 95 degrees out.)  We all know that exercising releases endorphins into the body.  I need that with my recent cut in serotonin.  I thought that this quote was very interesting:

"For people being treated for depression with antidepressants, a 2007 study done by Dr. James Blumenthal, a professor of medical psychology at Duke University, found that patients that exercised regularly had a comparable reduction in depression symptoms (about 60-65%) as patients who were treated with antidepressants or combined antidepressants and exercise."

Besides my sweet tooth, I eat pretty well.  An article suggested that people who are prone to depression  should not deprive themselves of carbs.  I had no idea that carbs increase serotonin levels in the brain.  That is not to say that I should go on a carb-binge.  Omega-3 fatty acids and folate also help to stave of depression symptoms.  Where's my banana?!

Note:  I have not been feeling depressed since I went off my SSRI.  However, I feel I need to make some lifestyle change nevertheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment